Coffee to milk and coffee to sugar ratio is without a doubt a personal preference and varies from one person to another, but many people also opt-in for straight black! If you’re the type to drink yours with plenty of cream and sugar, then you’ve probably wondered how your friends or family can drink theirs black. You’ve maybe even asked yourself numerous times “why is it that people drink black coffee?”. However, if you’re the type to drink yours black, then you’ve probably gotten many reactions to your cup of coffee. Truth is those black cup of coffee drinkers may be onto something!
What is Black Coffee?
Black coffee is exactly what you know it to be, brewed coffee that doesn’t contain any added ingredients. No milk, creamer, sugar, or sweeteners makes for a plain-looking cup that is dark in color. If you’ve tried it before then you know it can taste more bitter and slightly acidic, but the taste of the coffee will always vary depending on the type and quality of beans and which region it originates from. Professional coffee critics evaluate the true taste of coffee by drinking it black because this is its true form.
Why Drink Black Coffee?
Drinking your coffee black may actually be the best option for a healthier lifestyle with all the health benefits it can provide you. Here are a few reasons why you should skip the cream and sugar next time you brew yourself a cup or go out for one:
- Experience its True Taste: The main reason why many people love drinking their cup of coffee black is that they’re able to experience the true taste of the coffee. Without any milk or sweetener covering up the taste of it, you’re able to taste the true flavor of your coffee beans, grind, and a variety of roasts that can complement it!
- Helps Burn Fat: It’s already known that caffeine found in coffee helps to stimulate the breakdown of body fat and makes fatty acids available for your body to use as energy throughout your day. Simply adding extra milk or sugar to your coffee would reduce the overall natural positive effects of the caffeine and also have added calories and fat.
- Increases Energy Levels: As stated above, coffee contains the stimulant caffeine in it which leads to increased alertness and energy levels. This can keep you going during the day and will even help improve your performance. This boost in energy also helps you perceive less fatigue throughout your day. When you drink your cup of coffee plain, you get the benefits of caffeine without unhealthy additives.
- Low in Calories: It’s always tempting to add a bunch of sweets or flavors to your coffee, especially when there are so many options on the menu when you’re ordering. Adding milk, sugar, chocolate syrup, and topping it off with whipped cream sounds delicious, but the calorie count will really add up. For example, a large iced salted caramel mocha with whipped cream from a coffee shop is close to 500 calories and has more than 50 grams of sugar! That’s already about twice as many grams of sugar than the suggested daily intake. On the other hand, a 16 ounce cup of black coffee contains only about 10 total calories and 0 grams of sugar, which is definitely a much healthier option.
- Great Health Benefits: Drinking even an 8 ounce cup of coffee can increase your heart rate because of the caffeine. This creates a similar effect that you would get by going on a walk and can keep your heart healthier overall. Regular coffee consumers have lower rates of heart disease and less risk for a stroke. Black coffee also contains a large number of antioxidants for the body that’s are important such as vitamin B2, B5, magnesium, and potassium. By drinking your cup black you get your daily intake of nutrients!
- Cost Efficient: Last, but not least, a black cup of coffee is probably the cheapest cup you could buy and get at your local coffee shop. Even if you decide to brew your own coffee at home there’s no need to spend any extra money on milk or sweetener!